Vasaloppet 2013

I will try to write some comments regarding the Vasaloppet 2013.

Preparation
All in all I had 490km on skiis before Vasaloppet. 2008 I had 390km. So better training and all traning on real snow (not artificial snow like 2008). More long ski sessions as well 2013 compared to 2008.

Temperature
It looked fantastic Monday - Friday for Vasaloppet weather on Sunday. Minus degrees the entire race and sun. Problems was that the close we came to Sunday the more plus degrees came into the forecast.

Race weekend
Anders, Ida and I had booked a small house 15km from Mora (in Sollerön). Good place and we arrived Friday evening. Had a good and calm Saturday. Had our skis waxed and just relaxed.

Race day
Woke up 02:00. Had breakfast and went to Mora 03:00. At 03:30 we were on the bus that took us to Sälen. The bus ride took almost 2h (1h 50 min). Crazy!

I had start group 9, Ida 10 and Anders 6. We had to run to the start group and after a long line I put my skis at the right side of the start area:

Start / 1st hill
It was ok! Of course too many people. I stayed to the far right the entire race.
Basically the first hill was ok. The problem was that it was obvious that the tracks will not look nice this year since the temperature was close to zero and rising.

When I reached the top of the first hill I started to ski. And sadly enough, very bad glide. This was my problem the entire race. Too bad glide. I struggled a lot and my glide was worse than the majority of the skiers. I need new skis (maybe I am fatter now compared to 2008).

The grip was pretty good though. I had my skis rewaxed regarding the Grip at Evertsberg after 47km. So grip was excellent but glide was not good. But the biggest problems was regarding the tracks. The last 55km they were completely non existing. That is terrible.

Anyway. Finished at 08:38. Basically the same time as 2008 (but very different race). Ida finished 10:38 (extremely heroish) and Anders 6:17 (wow!).

Future
Now we will do Vätternrundan, Vansbrosimningen and Lidingöloppet. I might do Lidingö Ultra beginning of May and I have already signed up for Stockholm Marathon.

Kommentarer

  1. Thanks for great recap as usual. I can just say (with my limited experiences of skiing), that conditions shift a lot from time to time, so comparances between races is so diificult.... Anyway, my hat off to the whole El Maco ski team.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I found large photo gallery (~23 000 pics) from Vasaloppet 2013 and the good thing is that it allows to search by name.

    http://se.sport-photo.eu

    SvaraRadera

Skicka en kommentar